Freddy's CFL Ratings: 2019 Week 21


After 21 weeks of play, it's finally playoff time! Five games stand between us and a Grey Cup champion being crowned.

This will be the last blog post for the 2019 CFL season, other than the final post which will sum up the season. I won't be posting again until we have a champion.


The standings table now includes playoff games. There are some limitations with regard to how ceiling and floor are calculated; it's better to use the team ratings to compare any two teams who could still play at any point in the postseason.


I got a comment on last week's post from a colorblind person who had trouble reading the graph above. So this week, while I've given you the graph as usual, I'll also give you a table! I hope it makes it easier to understand how teams have progressed through this year.


So who will win the Grey Cup? It should come as no surprise that my pick is the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

It's not just because they are the best team in my ratings, and have been for most of the season. They also have the easiest path to the title game. I'm not even going to touch the West half of the bracket, as far as betting is concerned. I think any of those three teams could make it to the end. Edmonton or Montreal will have a much harder time, with their path running through Tim Hortons Field.


As things stand now, the most likely scenario is another year of chalk. Anything can happen—but the numbers say it should be Hamilton and Saskatchewan at the end.

Comments