FredRank NFL: 2019 Preseason


The first game of the 2019 NFL season has begun and the first points have been scored, but that doesn't make it too late for some preseason ratings!

I won't comment much on these in this post, since there's so much I'd need to cover and I just didn't give myself enough time, but I will say a few things.


  • As usual, FredRank is an average of factors which have all been put on a scale of 0 to 1. Computer ratings, strength of schedule, one human poll and projected win percentages are among the 16 factors currently included. One additional factor, which measures consistency, will be included once enough games have been played.
  • Win-loss records are not based on FredRank, but on a proprietary blend of Sagarin ratings and fantasy point projections for each team. It seems to me like a good place to start with each team, but it's experimental—it's a method I've never used before. We'll see how things pan out as we go!
  • I will be tracking how each team moves in FredRank throughout the season. It'll be similar to the way I track my CFL ratings' progression, but 32 teams may be too much to clearly illustrate with a graph, so I may use a chart instead.
  • A standings table will also be included beginning with the next post, as it will help to explain how tiebreakers will be applied.

Be sure to leave any thoughts in the comments here, and don't forget to subscribe if you think you'll enjoy keeping track of the NFL and other leagues this year with me.

Comments