Introducing Freddy's Throwback Thursday

Welcome to Throwback Thursday!

Ever since the American Football League earned itself a merger with the NFL, we’ve seen several more leagues attempt to recreate that success or act as a complement to the big league. We’ve seen six leagues try and fail, while the new XFL will begin its efforts this coming weekend. This spring and summer, I’ll be taking a look into these seven leagues.

While the posts will focus on ratings of the teams, similar to my CFL ratings, I’ll also be getting into some of the major storylines from the leagues, in order to create some understanding of why they ended up failing. The only possible exception, of course, is the XFL. With no plans to cover it week-by-week, I’ll be looking at that league after it ends in April.

The full list of leagues I’ll be covering:
- World Football League (1974-75)
- United States Football League (1983-85)
- World League of American Football (1991-92, 1995-2007)
- XFL (2001)
- United Football League (2009-12)
- Alliance of American Football (2019)
- XFL (2020-future?)

Starting with the AAF next Thursday, I plan on covering each league one season at a time. Enjoy!

Comments