FCS FredRank and Bracketology: 2019 Week 6

Pythagorean win percentage is back in FredRank! Rather than waiting for Warren Nolan to publish his (since I don't know if he'll even be doing that this year), I just found the way to calculate it on my own. The best part of this is that it will update in real time as I update scores, meaning it's one fewer thing I need to count on someone else to do.

For FCS specifically, I know that Nolan never counted games against non-Division I teams in his calculation. Mine will, and I think that's a good thing.

On to the ratings!


At least according to Sagarin, North Dakota State is still an unstoppable force within the FCS. They play at South Dakota State, his next-highest-rated FCS team, in a couple weeks and are set to win by a touchdown. It'll definitely be the biggest challenge for the Bison in the regular season, whether or not they can pull off a win.

NDSU's most recent opponent, Illinois State, makes it into the field of 24 in these projections despite a 7-5 record. That's because the rest of the bubble teams have either a similar record in a power conference or a better record in a weaker conference. Funny how Georgetown makes the bubble when conference rival Holy Cross, the projected Patriot League champ, would not.


On the other hand, what if North Carolina A&T slips up and loses their conference? I think they'd solidly be in play for an at-large bid to the playoff tournament, as long as they lose only one game and it keeps them out of the Celebration Bowl.

That's it for this week's FredRank. Don't forget to subscribe and leave your thoughts in the comments!

Comments